In a previous blog, I discussed how the Amazon Kindle is a great tool for using Google Maps. Because of the Kindle’s GPS capabilities, accessing Google Maps from the Kindle is free and is great if you are walking or cycling and need directions.
Also, in the previous blog, I outlined the steps to get to Google Maps. But after using the application a few times myself, I discovered some shortcuts to getting to Google Maps more quickly.
1. At the Home Screen, start typing a URL. When you do this, a text-input box will appear at the bottom of the screen.
2. Type in – maps.google.com/m/directions.
3. Use the 5-way to the right until you reach “Goto”.
4. After you press down on the “Goto” selection, you’ll be at the Google Maps text-direction page.
Heading to the main Google Mobile Maps text page, the URL is maps.google.com/m, which is very similar to the URL mentioned above. You will need to use the SYM key which is located at the bottom right of the Kindle keyboard to get characters like the @ sign.
1. At the Home Screen, press the enter key which is located below the DEL key. The text-input box will appear at the bottom.
2. Type in @url maps.google.com/m
3. Press the Enter key located below the DEL key to choose “Search My Items”.
4. From here, you will land on the Google Maps main information page.
This method makes you use the SYM key for the “@” sign, but you’ll avoid having to use the 5-way several times.
If you are reading a book, you can type in the URL.
1. If the cursor is not on the screen, type a character to bring up the search box.
2. Delete the character from the search bar and type @url maps.google.com/m
3. Use the 5-way to the right once to “My Items” and click.
4. After you are done with your browsing, you can press the “Back” key to return to the book you were reading.
You never know when you’ll need directions, and if you are like most reading enthusiasts, your Kindle (and Google Maps) is with you at all times. Utilizing one of these shortcuts is a great way to access Google Maps on your Amazon Kindle, so you can get to your next destination.